Simple, delicious and wholesome, this blueberry baked oatmeal is the ideal breakfast. Crunchy and toasty topping, and soft and moist on the inside, this baked oatmeal recipe never lets you down. Gluten-free, prepped with just one bowl, it's perfect for busy weekdays, or a relaxed weekend breakfast!
Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
We just can’t get enough of oatmeal lately! Andy and I just love golden crunchy, baked oats. This blueberry baked oatmeal is one of my favourite baking recipes with oatmeal.
What I love the most with this blueberry baked oatmeal recipe is the sweet baked aroma filling the kitchen in the morning with cinnamon, nutmeg, and sweet, fresh blueberries. Of course the taste is to-die-for too!
The secret of the best baking oats...
One of my favourite baked oats is apples baked oatmeals, and I loved layering the fruits on the bottom of the baking plate topped off with oats. The top of the oatmeal becomes crunchy while the fruits are soft, tender, sweet and moist.
I tried this approach to bake this oatmeal with blueberries. With a bit of testing and adjustment, this baked blueberry oatmeal was simple to make, and delicious to eat!
Healthy baked oatmeal is not complicated. It can be enjoyed with some simple and wholesome ingredients. Bring joy into your life and share it with loved ones! Read on!
Why You Will Love This Blueberry Baked Oats
This blueberry baked oatmeal is:
- Packed with wholesome ingredients
- One bowl recipe
- Naturally sweetened
- Used unrefined sugar
- Warm feels with spices
- Crunchy on surface and soft and moist inside
You can prepare wholesome breakfast simply with one bowl. Oats, cinnamon, eggs and milk, are all kitchen staples too!
Make ahead of time
These baked oats are perfect for busy weekdays. You can make it ahead of time, and simply reheat it to serve.
If preparing ahead of time, once the ingredients are combined, it’s best to bake straight away. Otherwise the oats absorb all the liquid of the wet ingredients.
This baked oatmeal recipe is highly customizable.
Nuts: you can use whatever nuts you prefer. Chopped walnuts or crushed almonds go well with baked oats.
Butter: I sprinkle melted butter on top once the oatmeal is baked for some extra flavour. Coconut oil is a great dairy free substitution and works perfectly well for this. I’ve found it’s better to add the butter or coconut oil after the oats are baked
Topping this baked oatmeal with your favourite topping is easy. My favourite is topping nuts and sprinkling some raw sugar to give a little extra sweetness.
If you prefer not using eggs, you can replace with flux eggs or banana. You can either slice two medium size bananas into less than 1 inch each or mash them. Blueberry banana baked oatmeal is ready!
Sugar/sweetening: I added maple syrup for natural sweetness and if you prefer, you can add more. Alternatively I have also used granulated cane sugar over the top for some extra crunch.
How to Make Baked Oatmeal with Blueberry
All you need to do is combine the ingredients in one bowl and pour it over the oatmeals and blueberries on the baking plate. Then bake it in the oven. It's simple and incredibly hard to fail.
If you’re like me, you look out for fresh and seasonal blueberries to bring home, and then think up what to use them for. Often that means making a simple, delicious dessert of breakfast.
And this recipe works for both. Just place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the baked blueberry oatmeal, and you have yourself a perfect dessert! Greek yogurt and whipped cream also work.
Fresh or frozen blueberries?
You can use either fresh or frozen blueberries. While I love fresh berries, this works perfectly well with frozen. I've found that frozen blueberry releases more liquid than fresh ones. Great for a juicy bottom of the baked oatmeal. I scoop up a bit of the spare juice and add it to yogurt for an extra treat.
Make sure that the top of the oats doesn’t burn. You want it crunchy and lightly browned but not burnt. After 30 minutes of baking, check out the top and if it's golden and crunchy cover it with aluminum foil. Bake 35 to 40 minutes total in the oven.
That's it! Serve immediately!
Tips for the Best Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
How to store this blueberry baked oats
Cool the leftover baked oats completely and transfer it into an air tight container or cover up with wrapping plastic. Leave it in the fridge for five days. You can also leave it in the freezer for two months.
Gluten-Free baked oatmeal
Make sure you purchased certified gluten-free oatmeal. I use rolled oat (old fashioned oats) for this recipe and always check it is gluten-free.
Blueberry baked oatmeal for vegan
You can make blueberry oatmeal with no eggs. And of course you can replace the dairy milk with plant milk. Almond milk works well for this baked oatmeal recipe.
More recipes for oatmeals
Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
- 2 large eggs (flux egg or bananas)
- 1½ cup milk (or plant milk such as almond or oat milk)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon gound nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup peacan nuts
- 3 tablespoons melted butter (or melted coconut oil0
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or cane sugar)
- 12 ounces fresh blueberries (or frozen blueberries)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (for serving)
- ½ cup maple syrup (for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9 x 5-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg with a whisk. Then add milk, baking powder, salt and spices. Keep whisking them until well combined.
- Place the ⅔ of blueberries on the bottom of the preheated baking plate. (No need to be defrost or pre-cooked if frozen blueberries are used.) Keep the rest for the topping.
- Cover the oats over the lined blueberries. Pour the wet ingredients over the oats.
- Place the remaining blueberry and nuts on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the top looks golden and crisp. (Add extra 5 minutes if frozen blueberry is used.)
- Remove the blueberry baked oatmeal and sprinkle melted butter on top. Let it cool down for a few minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream. And plenty of maple syrup!That's it! Enjoy!