Learn how to make aquafaba - vegan egg whites. Ready in 5 minutes! Aquafaba can be your new secret weapon for vegan cooking with no eggs by using the magic of chickpea juice! Aquafaba can be a perfect item to extend egg free and dairy free dessert as same as coconut whipped cream.
How many times have you seen delicious cake recipes only to realize eggs are needed??
I know how you feel – frustrated and disappointed.
That's why you need to know the secret of aquafaba - the vegan egg substitute.
Aquafaba is a real game changer!
What is Aquafaba?
You can find chickpeas in water. The water inside a can of cooked chickpeas - that's chickpea aquafaba! Aquafaba is the viscous liquid extracted from legumes. I use chickpeas.
I used to throw away the drained chickpea liquid into a sink but not anymore. It’s the ideal egg white replacement.
After discovering aquafaba, I have made many vegan recipes without egg. Even it's possible to make vegan whipped cream! We enjoy delicious homemade sweets, cakes and more. No need to give up your favorite sweet indulgence anymore!
Learn how to make aquafaba today and start making your dream vegan sweets with this magical chickpea brine! This recipe covers everything about the magic and joy. Read on!
How to Make Aquafaba
You can choose either canned chickpeas or dried chickpeas to make it. My recommendation is to use it in the canned first. Then make homemade aquafaba once you become familiar with how it works.
Since aquafaba is already made in a chickpea can, no need to explain. You find the chickpea water there. That's aquafaba.
In this section, I explain how to make aquafaba from chickpea beans.
How do you make chickpeas with water? The easiest way without a pressure cooker is:
- Rinse dried 1 cup of chickpeas with water.
- Soak rinsed chickpeas in 3 cups of fresh water over night, about 8 hours.
- Keep the water. Do not throw away the soaking water! It's so easy to do by mistake. I made that mistake... the chickpea water was not thick enough, and I had to start again...
- Cook chickpeas in the saved water. Once it's boiled, reduce the heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Check out cooked chickpeas. Pick up a piece and use fingers to make sure it is tender.
With soaking chickpeas overnight, you get the right viscosity of the chickpea juice. This is why do not forget about soaking and boil chickpeas in the water. Again, do not throw away the soaked chickpea water.
- Drain the chickpea water with a strainer into a measuring cup. You would have about ¾ cup to less than 1 cup of aquafaba. If you have more than that, transfer it into a saucepan and boil for 5 to 10 minutes until the liquid is reduced. Aquafaba need to be 'thickened'.
- Cool down and put it into a fridge.
- Beat aquafaba with a hand mixer or a blender in a steal mixing bowl until it gets formed as you like. Find out the further details on how to make aquafaba whipped cream.
I've found when cooked chickpeas are left in aquafaba for 2 days, whipping goes very well. Make sure the aquafaba is thick enough too.
Useful tools for making aquafaba
- Making from a Canned Chickpeas: canned chickpeas, strainer, steal bowl and hand mixer or blender
- Homemade Aquafaba: dried chickpeas, water, saucepan, cup measure, strainer steal bowl and hand mixer or blender
How much per can yielded?
One can of chickpea contains ½ cup of aquafaba and that is about 12 tablespoon chickpea water. This is approximate measurement. (source)
Different brands vary the thickness of the chickpea liquid. If the aquafaba is too watery, simmer it in a saucepan till it gets thicken enough.
How much aquafaba replaces an egg?
- About three tablespoons of aquafaba can be like one whole egg to bind the ingredients.
- Two tablespoons of aquafaba is equivalent to one egg white.
1 whole egg = 3 tablespoons of aquafaba.
1 egg white = 2 tablespoons of aquafaba .
(1 tbsp = 15 ml)
How to Store Aquafaba
How long does aquafaba keep?
Aquafaba can last with a mason jar for three days in the fridge. I tend to finish it as soon as possible.
Can you freeze aquafaba?
Yes you can! It's only 3 days to keep aquafaba in a fridge. So, why don't you make extra and freeze? You can freeze aquafaba up to two months.
- Transfer 2 table spoons of aquafaba into each ice cube container and freeze.
- Defrost aquafaba ice cube before you start cooking.
- Whip up with a hand mixer or blender and use it for cooking.
Two table spoons of aquafaba is equivalent to one egg white. This is why I transferred with 2 tbsp each. It's easy to measure. Pick up the numbers of ice cubes you need for a particular recipe just before you start cooking.
What to Make with Aquafaba?
Vegan mayonnaise, vegan chocolate mousse, vegan pavlova and even vegan macarons can be made with it. It's no longer just a dream to make light, fluffy and airy vegan cakes or muffins without egg!
Two things that you can do with:
- Bind the ingredients like egg. Whip up a bit before you add.
- Replace egg white whipped cream. This is the one I like the most.
How to use aquafaba?
It can be used as vegan egg white. I made pancakes with aquafaba whipped cream the other day. They are super fluffy without cream of tartar or baking powder!
What to do with cooked chickpeas
After extracting aquafaba and store it, a bonus is that you can cook soft and juicy chickpeas hummus!
MIKLIA Aquafaba Recipes
Vegan Whipped Cream (aquafaba meringue)
Vegan Mayo with Aquafaba
How to Make Aquafaba
- 15 ounce can chickpeas - water inside of the can itself is aquafaba!
- 1 tsp cream of tartar - to make whipping quicker and stable (optional)
- Open a chickpea can and find water inside. Use a strainer and drain chickpea water into a metal mixing bowl. Set aside chickpeas for another use.
- Add 1 tsp cream of tartar into aquafaba and start beating. I use a hand mixer and found it's super easy to make whipped cream with. Cream of tartar is optional but can reduce your beating time into about half and keeps the form stable. Remember to add cream of tartar not later but 'when you start beating'.
- Aquafaba can be used for various sweets or savory cooking. If you use aquafaba for binding ingredients, whip lightly in a mixing bowl and use it. With cream of tartar, semi hard peaks are formed in 5 minutes. Hard perks are formed in 10 minutes although it dependents on the brand you use. Keep beating aquafaba until the peaks are formed as you like!
Leave a Review!