Rich, creamy and filling easy hummus pasta ready in just 15 minutes! The best weeknight dairy free creamy pasta sauce ever! Make this super tasty pasta sauce in no time at all.
I know what it’s like mid-week when you’re low on time and energy. You don’t want to be running to the shop for ingredients or cooking time-consuming meals. This hassle free, super easy recipe hits the mid-week recipe spot every time! It's is one of our favourite dinner recipes with hummus.
Hummus is a standard in our fridge ALL the time. Recently I found myself staring in my fridge wondering what simple yet tasty meal I could make.
To be honest, I really didn’t have many ingredients in the fridge. But the hummus was staring back at me, and I thought why not put hummus on pasta.
I’d never tried a hummus and pasta combination before. After some trial and testing, I can tell you that hummus with pasta is a winning team!
It’s the dairy free creamy pasta recipe dish you always wanted. So add one more extra creamy pasta recipe with no dairy to your list!
This easy hummus pasta recipe has saved my busy weeknights many times. So, it will do the same for you!
Why is this Creamy Hummus Pasta so Good?
This smooth, creamy hummus pasta sauce oozes flavour and is something you’ll keep coming back to. Adding hummus to pasta is a quick and easy comfort food! This creamy pasta is straight forward but honestly really tasty!
You can easily find hummus at your local supermarket. And some are pretty good, but it's annoying to be checking the ingredients all the time.
There is of course quite a few varieties out there - chili, jalapeno, beetroot, tomato and red peppers for example. They’re worth checking out. But we find it hard to go past the original and in many ways best hummus, especially for this hummus pasta recipe.
Of course, once you've mastered this recipe, you can add your favourite ingredients, or experiment with different versions of hummus. After all, that’s how I ended up making this meal – trying new things!
With this recipe, we tried a few different ingredients to combine with the hummus, but found it hard to go past hummus pasta with tomato. And adding a bit of chili transformed it into a slightly spicy hummus pasta. It’s hard not to like chili, tomato and garlic with pasta, especially when you stir through hummus!
Read on for our hummus pasta recipe. Let us know how you go in the comments below!
Selected ingredients for Hummus Pasta
This is a simple and super quick pasta recipe, but there’s no sacrificing flavour.
Hummus: Either store bought or homemade works perfectly well, but I prefer my extra creamy and smooth hummus recipe for homemade! But if you’re in a real hurry, any humus is just fine.
Cherry tomatoes: Add some freshness and delight to this recipe with tomatoes. Select only ripe ones. The vivid red tomatoes add freshness and colour to the dish.
Garlic, chili and lemon: Who doesn't like garlic and chili? Add the tanginess of lemon and you’ve got a golden combination for pasta.
Herbs: I used oregano, basil and olive oil for a Mediterranean touch. Tomatoes work perfectly well with them.
How to Make Hummus Pasta
Cut ripe cherry tomatoes into two. Start boiling water. Add salt and cook pasta while you make hummus pasta sauce.
Cook cherry tomatoes with olive oil, and add finely diced or grained garlic and dry chili on medium heat for 5 minutes. Tranfer garlic and chili flavour into the olive oil. Gently crush the surface of the cherry tomatoes and transfer the tomato juice into the oil.
Cook cherry tomatoes in a skillet with olive oil, dried oregano, finely diced or crushed garlic and dry chili. Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes. Gently push cherry tomatoes with a fork and transfer the tomato juice into the oil. But be careful not to overcook the cherry tomatoes – you’re not after a tomato sauce, but lightly cooked tomatoes.
Add hummus and basil into the pan. Once they are mixed up with the cherry tomatoes, garlic and olive oil, gradually add pasta water and control the thickness of the sauce you fancy. Then add pasta and stir for a while. Once you turn off the heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
That's it! Serve immediately!
Tips for Hummus Pasta
The key for success in this recipe is to transfer the flavour of the ingredients into the oil while you cook. Then add hummus.
Which pasta should you use?
Any kind of pasta works well with this recipe! I tried it with fettuccine, spaghetti, farfalle and linguine, and they all work really well.
But shell pasta is always perfect for cream-based sauces too. So really, just reach for any pasta in your cupboard!
Make your own variations
Let me know what works for you! We've tried adding:
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Red pepper
- Roasted chickpea
This creamy pasta recipe perfectly works well with gluten-free pasta! Hummus is great for adding a creamy touch without dairy cream. My favourite is brown rice pasta with this recipe.
Cook pasta al dente
No one likes overcooked pasta. Follow the cooking time instructions on the packet, and drain water immediately. I usually remove the pasta one minute prior to the indicated cooking time.
More recipes with hummus:
Creamy Hummus Pasta
- 8 oz pasta (dry 226g)
- 2 cup cherry tomatoes (red ripe)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (finely diced or crashed)
- ⅓ tsp dry red chili
- 1 cup hummus
- ½ cup pasta water (add more if it's necessary)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice (1 medium size lemon)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil ( or 6 leaves fresh basil )
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt (or sea salt)
- ½ teaspoon fresh crashed pepper
- Wash cherry tomatoes with water and cut them into half. Set aside.
- Start boiling hot water and add salt for pasta. Once it's boiled, add pasta while you cook pasta sauce. Drain water. Set aside.
- Place 2 tbsp of olive oil on a frying pan. Add cherry tomatoes, finely diced garlic, dried oregano and dried red chili. Cook for 5 minutes. Start at a medium heat and then lower down if it's too high.
- Once the cherry tomatoes are cooked, gently push them down with a fork (but don’t totally crush them). You just want to transfer some of the garlic flavour and tomato juice into the olive oil.
- Add hummus, nutritional yeast, dried basil, Himalayan salt and black pepper into the pan. Mix them up with the cherry tomatoes, garlic and olive oil on the pan. Then gradually add some pasta water to smooth out and lighten the hummus texture a bit.
- Add pasta and mix it up well with the hummus pasta sauce for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and lemon juice.
- Serve immediately!
- Using the drained pasta water is perfectly fine. Make sure you keep it. Pasta water helps you control the thickness of hummus. Stop adding it once hummus becomes your favourite thickness.
- Add lemon juice once you turn off the heat. When it's heated up, lemon gets bitter.
- You can save hummus pasta for 2 days in the fridge. Make sure you keep them in the air tight container and so that hummus will not be dried out.